Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Great Moment in Court

So I'm cross examining this witness and it's clear we don't like each other. Well, he doesn't like me; I really don't care one way or the other about him. But of course, I wanted to make him look like he was just being absurd, not knowing what he was talking about, whatever...you know the drill from watching Law and Order. So the issue is whether or not asthma runs in the family and the witness says "no." Someone passes me a note (I'll leave out names, etc.) that says his father died from a "respitory related illness." At that point, I'm looking around the courtroom for cameras b/c I'm just sure that this next question will make it on Perry Mason. Me (standing up, holding the note out in front of me): "Isn't it true that your own father died of a 'respitory related illness' - do you recall that major event in your life?" The Witness (with a little grin on his face): "No - he died in a plane crash. But I guess you can say that he stopped breathing and that's a respitory problem." Not my best moment in court.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Doh! Whoever handed you that note should be FIRED!